Fishing … it has a way of bringing families together. Maybe you are a mom who loves to fish and who has passed on a love for fishing to your children or maybe you just have great memories of fishing with your mom as a youngster. Whichever it might be, we want to honor all of the moms out there who have encouraged us to spend time outdoors while learning more about ourselves and the great big world around us.
Here are a few words and photos from moms, or from those who have spent time fishing with their moms, on the reasons why fishing is a great family activity that benefits everyone involved.
- The best thing about fishing with my mom is that we are able to sit and enjoy each other’s company. Talking a little, but mostly just being in the moment waiting for a bite. (Dan Tripp)
- Fishing is therapy for me, worldly for my daughters. They learn patience and gentleness. There’s nothing like breathing in the vision of them calm and focused, having a goal for the day. (Rosemary Cook)
- Fishing is one of the most peaceful times, as a mother, when you can get your kids to be quiet. I have to say though, when my kids were little, it was not peaceful and there was a lot of pole detangling, but even the pole detangling was fun. (Tammy Gilbert)
- Fishing brings fun, friendly competition and purpose to our outdoor excursions. We always have fun, enjoy the outdoors and get to live in the moment. I can’t think of better way to enjoy family time. (Christa Pusateri)
If you are a mom, what other reasons do you have for taking your kids fishing? Is it to teach them about conservation and a respect for the outdoors? To encourage them to learn more about fish habitats and biology? Or, if you are the son or daughter of a mom who has shared her love of fishing with you, what did the experience of fishing with your mom teach you? Share your thoughts with the Take Me Fishing community by registering and commenting on this post.
Latest posts by Debbie Hanson (see all)
- 7 Tips for the Perfect #FirstCatch Fishing Photo - August 30, 2015
- Your Awesome Angler Name for National Hunting and Fishing Day - August 23, 2015
- The Lionfish: A Crazy-Looking Saltwater Fish - August 16, 2015