I’ve often heard anglers talk about effective fishing techniques and say that, “in order to catch fish, you have to think like a fish.” I have to say that I’m on board with this concept. For example, if I was a big hungry bass, I might be hanging out in an area of current where bait fish and insects would be swept within easy biting distance.
Besides eating habits though, I’ve often wondered… what other kinds of thoughts might go through the minds of our finned friends after they are hooked? From a catch and release standpoint, here are a few things I think fish might want to say if they had a voice.
- I can hold my breath out of the water for just about as long as you can under the water, so make it speedy with the photos please! Most of us sport fish species can survive out of water for only a couple of minutes.
- Don’t grab me with a dry towel or rag… ever. I have a protective slime on my body that helps to guard against diseases and bacteria. A towel will remove this protective slime layer and exposes me to infection.
- When you take me out of the water to remove the hook or take a photo, do me a favor and hold me as close to the water or boat as possible. That way, if I happen to slip out of your hands, it’s not as far of a fall and I’m less likely to get injured.
- Don’t throw your used fishing line, broken lures, or any other kind of trash in my home waters! You wouldn’t like it if I left a bunch of garbage in your living room, would you? Many public boat ramps now have recycling containers for fishing line, so please use them and follow the guidelines for ethical angling.
The next time you are out fishing, be mindful of your fish handling and release methods. Have you ever thought about what a fish might have to say specifically to you about your angling habits? If you have a few insightful comments, post them in the forum.
Latest posts by Debbie Hanson (see all)
- Super Easy Ways to Increase Fish Survival Rates - October 4, 2015
- Fall Fishing Tips for Largemouth Bass by Region - September 27, 2015
- 3 Bizarre Freshwater Fishing Tactics That Actually Work - September 20, 2015