The old saying that, “nothing in life is free” doesn’t always apply when it comes to fishing. During National Fishing and Boating Week, many states offer license-free fishing days, which are an ideal opportunity for new or beginning anglers to try fishing on public bodies of water without having to buy a fishing license.
Even if you already have a fishing license, you can still take someone out who has never been fishing before. Not sure who to ask?
Here is a list of people that you can invite to go fishing on a license-free day:
- Neighbor. Think about those times when you’ve gone on vacation and your neighbor has picked up your mail for you, watched your dog or brought over a tasty batch of homemade brownies. You can express your appreciation by inviting your neighbor to join you on a fishing trip. Your neighbor may also have kids that would love to experience a day of fishing.
- Boss or Co-Worker. Your boat or a lake shoreline can be a great place to network. Many types of business relationships can be improved by taking the time to get to know someone better and sharing in an outdoor bonding experience like fishing.
- Teacher or Coach. Maybe there is a special teacher at school or a coach who has put in a lot of extra time helping the kids during soccer or baseball practice. If they are active and enjoy the outdoors, chances are, they would appreciate a day of fishing too.
- Teen. Teenagers are developing their individual personalities, are heavily influenced by friends and are subject to peer pressure. For these reasons, the teenage years can be a stressful time. Since boating and fishing are good stress-relieving activities, invite a teenager or two to go fishing with you. Encourage them to celebrate their own individual strengths and identities during the process.
- Veteran. If you know a veteran, let him or her know that you appreciate the service they have provided to our country and invite them to go fishing. Veterans may also appreciate the stress-relieving benefits of boating and fishing after serving in combat or witnessing traumatic events.
Now that you have a good idea of who you might want to invite along on the next license-free fishing day, you can start researching the best spots in your area using the Take Me Fishing Places to Boat and Fish Map.