There is nothing that can quite compare to the feeling of excitement you experience when your lure gets bumped or you hear the sound of line starting to peel off of your fishing reel. However, aside from the exciting and obvious reasons why many of us go fishing, there are also hidden or secret benefits to fishing that some anglers may not be aware of.
Here are 5 of the hidden or secret benefits that fishing can provide each time you wet a line:
- Stress relief. Research shows that being near the water can actually help lower anxiety levels, leading to a healthier and more relaxed lifestyle. And, boating is ranked as one of the top three of all stress-relieving activities. Having a stressful day or stressful week? Keep calm and go fishing.
- Improved relationships. Sharing the experience of fishing with friends or family can help improve your relationships. Fishing provides a good opportunity to socialize in an outdoor environment while mentoring or bonding with other anglers.
- Knowledge about nature and the outdoors. Each time you go on a fishing trip, you have the chance to learn something new about nature, different aquatic habitats and various fish species. Pay close attention to what the fish are feeding on, the areas where they appear to be more concentrated, and note distinctive features of fish habitats.
- Contribution to conservation efforts. Funds from fishing license, boat registration, and fishing equipment purchases help contribute to conservation efforts throughout the United States. These efforts include fishery management, habitat protection, endangered species programs, and fishing conservation education.
- Improved self-confidence. Anglers develop increased self-confidence as a result of mastering outdoor skills and achieving individual goals. You can improve your fishing skills (along with your self-confidence) by researching information about where to find the fish, how to cast, and how to land a fish. Once you have mastered a new set of fishing skills, use your knowledge to help less experienced anglers so that they feel more confident as well.
What other hidden benefits do you feel fishing has brought to your life? Sign into the Take Me Fishing Community and comment with your personal experiences.
Latest posts by Debbie Hanson (see all)
- 7 Tips for the Perfect #FirstCatch Fishing Photo - August 30, 2015
- Your Awesome Angler Name for National Hunting and Fishing Day - August 23, 2015
- The Lionfish: A Crazy-Looking Saltwater Fish - August 16, 2015