Posted by: Debbie Hanson
July 15, 2013

2 Family Fishing Games to Play on Your Summer Vacation

Summer is in full swing, which means it’s the perfect time to gather the kids for a family fishing trip. If you do a bit of research beforehand on the best places to boat and fish in the area of your vacation or staycation, you shouldn’t have too much trouble finding a suitable spot to wet a line. Although, from time to time, warm weather conditions or a slow bite can cause kids to get…

» Read Full Blog Post

Posted by: Stephanie Vatalaro
May 17, 2013

Stephanie Vatalaro

Bike. Fish. Live.

I’m sure many of you out there have hobbies that you love outside of fishing. Accessibility, time constraints and convenience can even push this “competing” hobby into the forefront from time to time, conjuring images of a dusty and forgotten rod in the corner of the garage.  For me, this activity is cycling. Seeing that I live about 1.5 miles from my office in Alexandria, Virginia, it literally takes me less time to bike to…

» Read Full Blog Post

Posted by: Tom Keer
March 20, 2013

Tom Keer

The Stocking Truck

When I was 13 I had one of my more miserable years fishing.  I was getting hung everywhere I cast, I was always in the right place at the wrong time, and I was catching squat.  Everything about fishing was a royal pain, and as much as I hated how my season was going I was determined to figure things out. One day I was fishing a local trout stream.  I had the Cellar Hole…

» Read Full Blog Post

February 20, 2013

Tom Keer

Stock Up, the Season is Right Around the Corner

I love going in to tackle shops this time of year.  I see the familiar faces of the guys in the shop, fishing buddies who are smiling more than they were last month when holiday bills were in our mailboxes.  It’s a fun time of year when we start guessing when the striped bass will arrive, the mayflies will start to hatch, and when the ponds and lakes will turn over. I’m there for the…

» Read Full Blog Post

January 30, 2013

Tom Keer

New Species, New Spots

Part of me likes catching the same old fish in the same old spots.  I think it is because I have a baseline for comparison that comes from years of catching the same old fish in the same old spots.  Patterns develop over time and its fun to see if the fish respond differently or if they are predictable.  Since I’ve invested a lot of time over the years I easily recognize changes that come…

» Read Full Blog Post

Posted by: Andy Whitcomb
January 15, 2013

Andy Whitcomb

Repurpose for the Purpose of Fishing

One way to combat symptoms of cabin fever is to organize your fishing tackle.  There are items readily available around the cabin that can be reused to assist. 1) Empty mint tins or plastic snap top gum dispensers can be loaded up with the split shot weights that have been rolling around in the bottom of the tackle box. That telltale sign of a disk pattern on the back pocket of jeans does not necessarily…

» Read Full Blog Post

January 10, 2013

Tom Keer

Bold in the Cold

Winter fishing in the Northern reaches traditionally has been through the ice.  While you’re likely to see a tremendous number of ice fishermen on lakes and ponds from Maine to Washington State, you’re also likely to see anglers waist deep in rivers.  After all, they’re fishing for steelhead. Wild steelhead are anadromous fish, just like salmon.  They’re born into a river and migrate to the ocean where they spend some time growing up.  When they’re…

» Read Full Blog Post

December 19, 2012

Tom Keer

My 2013 Boating Plan

Assuming that the Mayan’s are wrong and that our world continues past December 20th, I’ve got my New Year’s boating resolutions all worked out.  This year I’m keeping a short, tight list to make sure I git ‘er done.   1.  Check out areas outside my local area. It’s interesting for me to see the same area in different seasons and under different conditions, but truth be told my boating gets sloppy.  I know where areas run foul, I…

» Read Full Blog Post

December 13, 2012

Tom Keer

Christmas Along the Coast

Winter along the coast can be very different from a Norman Rockwell Christmas card.  The climate doesn’t always lend itself to white, fluffy snow falls and cold weather plus humidity doesn’t usually form icicles on the house.  Bah, humbug!  Spice up your season with a few fun ideas.   Who’d have thought to make a Christmas tree out of a series of stacked lobster pots?  These trees don’t need to be watered and you’ll seldom…

» Read Full Blog Post