The much-anticipated Memorial Day Weekend is almost here. And, if you are not sure where to go boating and fishing, check out our Places to Boat and Fish Map. Here are a few reminders for enjoying the summer kickoff.
1) Between the power-fishing glitter bass boats, the lounging pontoons boats, the jet skis and kayaks, the boat traffic in some places may seem almost parade-like with a celebration of watercrafts. Be prepared to share the water.
3) If you do not happen to be fishing with Mom, I’ll remind you to keep hydrated (water is still the best) and wear sunscreen. Oh, and you may see my polar white legs this weekend so you’ll probably need your sunglasses too.
4) Careful with a fire and make sure it is totally out at the end of evening. Or if conditions are dry and windy, just skip the fire completely. Much of the country is still experiencing a drought.
5) Are you sure you remembered how to assemble the tent? A dry run might be worthwhile. Also when camping, creature comforts often seem to be lacking. It is easy to get too hot, too cold, too wet… so dress appropriately. And bring backup dry clothes.
6) Is there anything tastier than a shore lunch of fresh fish? Has it has been a while since you have cleaned a fish? Make sure you and the knife are not rusty.
7) Pick up after yourself and remember to Tread Lightly! “Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints,” is a great motto outside one botanical garden. We have a beautiful country with amazing recreational areas. However, I often return to the truck with litter discovered on our outings.
May 27th also is South Carolina and Pennsylvania’s Free Fishing Day. The timing of other states’ Free Fishing Days varies around the country. And speaking of “free,” let us take a quiet minute while enjoying the pleasures of boating and fishing, to remember that Memorial Day is not just a kick off of summer but a day for remembering the men and women who gave their lives in service of this great country.
Andy Whitcomb is a columnist, outdoor humorist, and stressed-out Dad living in Pennsylvania. Visit him at www.justkeepreeling.com.
Latest posts by Andy Whitcomb (see all)
- Fishing Safety Tips: Selecting Clothes - October 5, 2015
- Freshwater Fishing Lures for the Entire Water Column - September 28, 2015
- Fly Fishing for Smallmouth Bass - September 21, 2015