The BoatUS Foundation recently tested and rated the top on-the-water weather services – everything from cellular phone text messaging to Sirius satellite weather on a chart plotter. The list includes the best iPhone app, Blackberry app, satellite weather tools and more. These weather delivery options are geared toward coastal and inland boaters to use when they’re out on the water.
Before you embark on your Labor Day travel, be sure to download the marine weather information that works best for your mobile device…
- Best Free Flip Phone Option: NOAA’s mobile.weather.gov
- Best Blackberry App: Mobile Mariner (can display historic buoy data and marine weather forecasts)
- Best Free App: WeatherBug
- Satellite Weather: XM WX Weather
- Best iPhone App: MarineCast (provides a graphical map display of marine weather)
You can visit boatus.com for more details and analysis of each service. There’s also a nifty chart of the best options by phone provider.
P.S. For iPhone users in particular, check out this list of helpful boating applications that simplify everything from finding boat ramps to getting the latest marine fuel prices, courtesy of Discover Boating.